A few days ago (December 31st) I lamented over how I only had one post last year because I didn’t try out any new things to write about. Well – HELLO NEW YEAR! January 6th and I already experimented. And it’s all because of my new best friend ever, Miss Julie Taboulie.
OK – maybe this is one-sided and she doesn’t consider me her best friend. Or know me all too well. Or know me at all. Very likely she doesn’t know I exist, BUT I see her on TV all the time now and that makes her my new best friend, right???
Anyways, “Cooking with Julie Taboulie” is a fairly new show I recently discovered on “Create TV” (one of the PBS stations). As the title states, it’s a cooking show; specifically Middle Eastern and Lebanese cuisine. I don’t usually care much for cooking shows – or for cooking – but I really enjoy watching her. And I want to try things. According to my friend Julie it’s quite simple.
Last Sunday I watched the “Street Food Stars” episode, dashed over to the local Middle Eastern store, and then went to work to make some Kaftas!
- Couldn’t get mint, so I skipped that.
- Don’t like lamb, so I ground up some spicy Italian sausages and used those as the meat base.
- Didn’t have skewers, so I just skipped them.
- Came out really well and was delicious.
- Definitely a “keeper” recipe.
- Well – my friend Julie made all of the food in during the show in less than 1/2 hour. Took me a bit longer – more like 1 & 1/2 hours. Who would have thought!!!
1) Caramelized veggies:
2) Tahini sauce:
3) The meat:
Thank you Julie!!!